You may encounter the message "Worker did not establish connection" in the log of an S3 copy or S3 restore operation.
Day mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS - Error - Worker i-1234567890abcdef did not establish connection - terminating operation
This indicates the S3 copy worker instance (a temporary instance spawned by CPM for moving data to or from S3) has failed to establish a network connection to the CPM server, and/or AWS services.
Check the following:
1. The worker appliance security group settings, the following must be allowed for both backup and restore:
INBOUND HTTPS (port 443):
- The CPM server private or public IP.
OUTBOUND HTTPS (port 443):
Note 2: If restoring from S3 to a different region, select a security group at the target region which allows outbound connections to the source region S3 bucket.
2. The CPM server security group settings:
INBOUND and OUTBOUND HTTPS (port 443):
- The subnet the worker is configured to use.
Also be sure access to the CPM server is allowed via port 443 where necessary.
4. If an HTTP proxy is necessary to access public IPs, ensure this is properly configured in the worker settings and not blocking the transfer to s3. It may be advisable to test by opening internet to the worker without a proxy in some cases to be sure the proxy is not causing an issue.