Before shutting down the 2.4.x, 2.5.x or 2.6.x N2WS server
1. Disable the local CPM Agent (please ensure that no backup/DR/Cleanup/S3 is in process):
• Connect to CPM in SSH, then type: sudo mv /opt/n2wsoftware/cpmagent/agent.pyo /opt/n2wsoftware/cpmagent/agent.pyo.disabled
2. Use the AWS Console to create an image (AMI) of the existing N2WS instance. You should retain this AMI to ensure that you can recover data previously archived to S3, using any version prior to 2.7. Retain this AMI for as long as you need to recover the legacy data (pre-v2.7) from S3.
Launch this AMI (defaults to recover only mode) whenever in need to recover from the old S3 repository.
• Navigate to the EC2 console
• Select the running N2WS instance
• Under the Actions menu select Image
• Create Image
Notice for customers using Copy to S3:
• Once version 2.7 is launched, the first archive to S3 will be FULL. All subsequent backups will be incremental as usual.
You can maximize cost savings by moving previously archived data
(pre-v2.7) from S3 to S3 Intelligent Tiering (or IA if preferred)
Process to clean up your older (pre-2.7) S3 repository
Once version 2.7 is launched, all data previously archived to S3 (using versions 2.4 - 2.6) will not be deleted by the N2WS cleanup operation.
When based on your retention policy you no longer need any of the archived backups in your older repository (using versions 2.4-2.6) follow the steps below to manually delete it:
To delete a repository named ‘Repository_to_Delete’ located at ‘Configured_S3_Bucket’:
I. Use AWS console to access S3 console
II. The repository, ‘Rep_to_Delete’, will be located under
‘Configured_S3_Bucket’ > ‘Veeam’ > ‘Backup’ > ‘Rep_to_Delete’
III. Select ‘Rep_to_Delete’ folder and use S3 console to delete it.